Hrethel (Old English: Hrēðel, Proto-Germanic: Hrōþilaz, Old Norse: Hreðel), was a Viking warlord, king of the gautas in the Era of Vendel according to the epic poem Beowulf. He was the son or son-in-law of Jarl Swerting and his successor. He had three sons, Hygelac, Hæþcyn and Herebeald, and a female who married Ecgþeow of the Wægmundings dynasty and had a son, Beowulf.

Hrethel sponsored his own grandson (Beowulf) by taking him into his entourage at the age of seven. Sponsorship was a common custom among the Germanic peoples and does not mean that Ecgþeow renounced his education; In fact, this practice strengthened family relationships and bonds, creating bonds of commitment, affection and shared responsibility. Beowulf expresses gratitude to his grandfather explicitly: This discovers the beloved Lord for the people He received me from my father when I was seven years old King Hrethel saved me and raised me, He gave me wealth and a table, true our kinship. All his life he [loved me like his three children].

Hreðel died of grief when his eldest son Herebeald died in a hunting accident by his own brother Hæþcyn, a death that could not be avenged. He was succeeded on the throne Hæþcyn.



wiki