James Graham (1st Montrose)


James Graham, 1st Montrose Landmark (October 25, 1612 - Edinburgh May 21, 1650) was a Scottish nobleman who was first a covenant but later became a member of Charles I of England during the English Civil War.

James Graham acquired the county of Montrose in 1626 after the death of his father John Graham. In 1644, James Graham was raised for his support during the English Civil War to Montrose by Karel I.

From 1644 to 1646, James Graham successfully led the Scottish troops of Charles I. But by the defeat of Karel I during the Battle of Naseby, a large part of his troops deserted, causing James to flee to Norway in September 1646.

In March 1650, James landed on the Orkneys to take command of a small troop force. He tried hopelessly to expand his army and was surprised by government forces on April 27, 1650. During the subsequent Battle at Carbisdale his troops were defeated and James was again forced to flee. James Graham hoped to be able to subdue at Neil MacLeod of Assynt, the then occupant of Ardvreck Castle. Neil MacLeod was absent at the time of his arrival. Neil MacLeod, Christine's wife, Christine, had lured James Graham into the castle dungeons and allowed government forces to come. James Graham was then taken to Edinburgh, where he was sentenced to the death penalty by four-member, the usual punishment for traitors.

wiki