Perpetual song


The Perpetual Song op. 37 is a melody of Ernest Chausson, written in December 1898

It is part, with his poem of love and the sea, of the two major orchestral vocal works of the musician. It is also his last complete work, the latter having left his String Quartet op. 35 unfinished.

It is dedicated to Jeanne Raunay, who made her creation on January 28, 1899.

The text is by Charles Cros, describing the anguish of an abandoned woman. There is a version with orchestra and a version for voice, string quartet and piano.

It takes a little less than ten minutes to complete. The poemmodify the code

Shivering woods, starry sky My beloved has gone Carrying my heart sorry.

Winds, that your plaintive rumors, May your songs, nightingales, charmers, Go tell him I'm dying.

The first night he came here, My soul was at his mercy; Proudly I did not care anymore.

My eyes were full of confessions. He took me in his nervous arms And kissed me near the hair.

I had a big shudder. And then I do not know how He became my lover.

I said to him, "You will love me As long as you can. " I slept well in his arms.

But he, feeling his heart off, Went the other morning Without me, in a country far away.

Since I do not have my friend anymore, I will die in the pond, among The flowers under the sleeping stream.

On the finish edge, in the wind I will say his name, dreaming That I often waited for him.

And like a golden shroud, In my hair undone, at will From the wind I will give myself up.

Past happiness will pay Their soft glow on my forehead, And green reeds will entangle me.

And my breast will believe, quivering Under the caressing embrace, Suffer the embrace of the absent. edit code

wiki